Performing a VoIP assessment with PathSolutions TotalView will provide a lot more details of network health and capability than any other VoIP assessment because more valid information is brought to bear.
1) Deployment: Follow the license instructions to download and install the software. At the end of the installation, it will run the Quick Config Wizard that will set up the license and scan the network looking for devices to monitor.
It is strongly suggested that the error rate threshold be set to 5% to insure that interfaces anywhere in the network that have errors are caught. When the wizard is finished, it will present you with the Device List. Verify that all of the network switches, routers, gateways, and other VoIP devices are listed.
2) Issue Discovery: Wait 24hours for the product to watch the network and determine where problems exist in the network.
3) Issue Resolution: Look at the “Issues” tab for interfaces that have problems. Click on the “Print” link in the upper right corner of this report for a more detailed printable view. These issues should be resolved before continuing.
4) WAN Queuing Assessment: The “Assessment” tab should be evaluated to make sure the proper queuing configuration is deployed on interfaces.
5) Half-duplex Report: The “Interfaces” tab, “Half-Duplex” report should be cleaned up to eliminate any half-duplex interfaces in the environment.
6) 10-Meg Report: The “Interfaces” tab, “10meg” report should be cleaned up and interfaces changed to 100meg to eliminate any artificial bottlenecks in the environment.
7) Call simulations: On the “Tools” tab, “VoIP Tools”, the Call Simulator can be downloaded and run on any number of computers to any IP address on the network to test call stability. Tests should be performed to remote sites, and should simulate the proper number of calls desired to each site